Wednesday, February 28, 2018

We Have An Idea!!!

So today in class I met up with my partner, the amazing Taylor LaRocca (yes we have the same first name), and we came up with an amazing idea for our project! We have decided to go with the horror genre because while we were in class, we watched a couple more film opening examples and were super impressed with the horror examples. Taylor and I sat down with each other and began to brainstorm unique horror ideas and then all of the sudden her eyes lit up and it was like I could see a light bulb go off above her head, Taylor got really excited and explained to me that we should make a film opening about a day in the life of a serial killer. I loved her idea and told her that we should definitely do it, we were talking about how we should have the opening begin with the killer going through his/her morning routine and there will be little clues all throughout their routine to show the audience that they're a killer. For example, I think we should have a scene where the killer opens their medicine cabinet and it's filled with tons of pill bottles, along with a pair of bloody scissors. I think there's a lot of ways to get creative with this idea and I'm super excited to plan it out.

While we were discussing our idea I realized that there's an amazing title sequence that we could reference, which is the opening sequence of the show Dexter. Below is the opening sequence. This opening sequence is such a good reference because it gives us ideas on how we could subtly sneak in the little details that show that our main character is a serial killer. The sequence alludes to Dexter being a killer by showing blood and meat, I really enjoy those little hints.


I also want to use really unique and complex angles to show the dark nature of our film opening. I think we're going to try and use a lot of dutch angles and definitely a lot of close ups to show the little hints. Taylor and I were talking about how the amazing TV show, Breaking Bad, has many cool angles that we could use for reference. Below is a video that shows some of the Breaking Bad's unique camera work. 



Aquino, K. “Lomography - The Hidden Camera Aesthetic of Breaking Bad.” · Lomography, Lomography, 28 June 2015, www.lomography.com/magazine/312665-the-hidden-camera-aesthetic-of-breaking-bad.

RandomSenselessActs. “Dexter Intro on Showtime.” YouTube, YouTube, 6 Oct. 2009, www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESicykvHUyk&t=21s. 


No comments:

Post a Comment